The Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League formed Salmon Arm Branch on March 21 1927.
In the 1930’s the branch purchased the old Finn Hall on Front Street for $2.500.00. Six part-time paid Secretary-Treasurers were hired over the next ten years. Revenue from the enlarged premises permitted expansion of the community services.
Branch 62 participated in establishment of Gardom Lake Rest Camp in 1961 and,with other branches in the North Okanagan maintained a cabin for Veterans’ use until the present time.
In the late 1960’s, crowded conditions and a deteriorating club house caused membership to consider a new building. Through the committee’s efforts a new Legion building was opened in 1973 at a cost of $210,000.00. Increased revenue allowed for increased community services, including sponsorship of Cadets and scouts and minor league baseball and hockey.
By 2003, increasing maintenance costs became beyond the ability of a decreasing membership to afford. A smaller building was built to replace a 30-year old clubhouse that had become outdated and was not up to modern fire code.
The Ladies Auxiliary Charter was granted October 31,1947, twenty-one charter members. The Ladies Auxiliary has 32 members including 12 Life Members, and they continue supporting the branch assisting with the Poppy Campaign and carrying their colors on November 11th. Fall Fair Parade and other events. The ladies continue working diligently to promote the aims and objects of the Legion.